Tipton County attracted settlers who established cotton plantations on its fertile soils. As a result, this area was part of the cotton culture which associated with the Mississippi Delta. Consequently, the population grew quickly, and a county was established from parts of Shelby County. By act of the General Assembly, on October 29, 1823, Tipton County was born. The former Chickasaw Indian Territory was named for Jacob Tipton. Later, Tipton was killed by Indians in 1791 in a conflict over the Northwest Territory.
Steamboat commerce thrived in Tipton County. In 1830, one of the earliest settlements in Tipton County, Randolph, was the most important shipping point in Tennessee. However, riverboat shipping yielded to the railroad causing a decline in steamboat commerce. The first railroad in Tipton County was established in December 1885, Memphis and Ohio Railroad completed the route from Memphis to Nashville with a train station in what is now Mason, TN.
The Chickasaw Bluffs of the Mississippi River were a key location for protecting the settlements. Accordingly, the northern portion of Tipton County is home to two civil war forts, Fort Randolph and Fort Wright.
Tipton County returned to normal business and growth after the Civil War. For this reason, the Memphis and Paducah Railroad tracks were completed in July 1873. Also, a telegraph line between Memphis and Covington was installed in 1882. Covington gained electricity in 1894. And, in 1898, forced water mains provided Covington residents with indoor water. Finally, paved streets were built in 1922 and the residents of Covington had natural gas in 1929.
In truth, Tipton County is one of the most beautiful places in West Tennessee. In particular a beautiful section of Covington with late 19th century and early 20th century homes. The district is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and a must for visitors.