Anthony Clopton gave land for Clopton Cemetery in the 1830s. Covered with lush trees and flowing springs this land was ideal for “brush arbor” revivals. “Brush Arbor” revivals were the early spiritual refreshment of Tipton County.
The tranquil setting of this land disturbed by the Civil War. Consequently, over 500 volunteer Confederate soldiers from Tipton County trained here. During the war, the church was burned by Union forces. The cemetery also contains graves of both Southern soldiers and slaves.
Clopton Church was an early leader in education after the war. Several schools operated near this site until 1938.
Finally, known for its generous emergency relief to families, Clopton Church was a principal in “Tipton Cares” during the year of 1992. Tipton County remains a lighthouse and servant to the rapidly changing Tipton County.
Names and Dates of those buried at Clopton Cemetery.