The Hunt Cemetery is located on a farm owned by the Alonzo and Albert Maclin families about two miles east of Old Trinity. It was originally the property of Capt. Jack Taylor whose granddaughter, Lucy Jones Taylor, was the first to be buried there in December 1833. The only markers there are for Williams Anderson Taylor, his first wife, Sally Jones Taylor, and their daughters. However, many of the other Taylors including Capt. Jack and his brother, Major William “Buck” Taylor are most likely buried there.
After Capt. Jack’s death the property was inherited by Major Thomas T. Hunt and his wife “Pretty Polly” Taylor. They made their home at this place and thus the burying ground acquired the name of the name of the Hunt cemetery. Major Hunt’s sister, Mrs. Polly Nelson, and brother, General Menucan Hunt of Texas are buried there along with some of her family. Several of Fred and Sallie Taylor Maclin’s infant children lie there along with Nathaniel Hunt, a first cousin of Major Hunt’s, and some members of his family. In the years following the war, these families gradually began to bury at Old Trinity. Major and Mrs. Hunt and Mr. and Mrs. Fred Maclin are buried at Old Trinity, but have no markers for their graves.
Marshall, John Walker. The Early History of Mason. John Walker Marshall, 1985.