Town of Garland was established sometime in the early 1870’s. In 1872 a post office was opened in the Archer Store there and it was named “Garland” in honor of Dr. John C. Garland, a noted physician in the village. On February 14, 1913, Garland was incorporated by an Act of the Tennessee General Assembly. Ed Peeler was the first mayor of the town.
by David A. Gwinn, Tipton County Genealogist and Historian