Churches slowly organized in Tipton County. The first church congregation in Covington was the Presbyterians who organized their church in 1829. Later, in 1839, they merged with Mt. Carmel Presbyterian Church.
Second were the Baptists. Their first church was established in Covington in 1839. Similarly, this congregation relocated outside of Covington in 1847.
According to John Marshall, Mason Historian, Mason’s
earliest record of a Methodist congregation in the area was in 1833. In that year Col. Robert Paine deeded one acre of land to Isaac Clark, James Roddy, and Irvin R. Sherrod of Tipton county and James N. Shelton, William Rives, and Alexander Whitmore of Fayette county, Trustees in trust, for the Methodist Episcopal Church. Col. Paine was the uncle of Bishop Robert Paine, a well-known bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. This meeting house as it was called was located about a mile north of the present Methodist church on what is now referred to as the Booker place. It is on the east side of Hwy. 59 just before the Jack Pond road when heading north. The name is not give in the original deed, but it was called Sharon.
The Belmont Methodist Church was apparently a split from the Sharon Church. Its first trustees were William Rives, James N Shelton, James A Manley, Fisher A Westmoreland, Alexander Whitmore, Beverly Anderson, and James E Mason. In 1841 Major Edwin Whitmore gave two acres to the Belmont Methodist Church. The trustees at that time were Rev. Henry W. Sale, William Rives, James E Mason, Fisher A Westmoreland, and Col. Robert Tucker. The 1847 Sunday School repots for the Belmont church show that it had two superintendents, ten teachers, fifty scholars, and one library.
Below you will find a list of churches in Tipton County including a brief history of each.
Clopton United Methodist Church was founded in the 1830s when a parcel of land was granted for the establishment of a Methodist Church. The land was donated by Anthony M Clopton born in Goochland County, Virginia, 1770. Mr. Clopton and his wife, Rhoda H Clopton, moved to this area from Davidson County, Tennessee. And, thereupon, ...
Covington First United Methodist Church is a diverse, multi-generational and outwardly-focused Christian congregation of approximately 800 members located just off the courthouse square in the county seat of Tipton county, Tennessee. The town of Covington is home to about 9,000 residents and is located east of the Metro Memphis area. It’s affordable cost-of-living, small-town atmosphere, excellent ...
Elm Grove Church and Cemetery are located on Elm Grove Rd in Burlison, TN. The church is in a newer building with the cemetery on its left. There are approximately 200 graves in the cemetery. The oldest grave in this cemetery belongs to William N Angus. The next oldest marked grave in the ...
First Baptist Church of AtokaAddress: 102 Kimbrough Ave.; Atoka, TN 38004 Phone: (901) 313-2919 What We Believe The Scriptures We believe in the verbal plenary (full) inspiration and authority of the Bible both Old and New Testaments. We hold the Bible to be infallible and inerrant and, therefore, to be our only rule of faith ...
Gilt Edge, TN
Gilt Edge, TN
Gilt Edge, TN