Churches slowly organized in Tipton County. The first church congregation in Covington was the Presbyterians who organized their church in 1829. Later, in 1839, they merged with Mt. Carmel Presbyterian Church.
Second were the Baptists. Their first church was established in Covington in 1839. Similarly, this congregation relocated outside of Covington in 1847.
According to John Marshall, Mason Historian, Mason’s
earliest record of a Methodist congregation in the area was in 1833. In that year Col. Robert Paine deeded one acre of land to Isaac Clark, James Roddy, and Irvin R. Sherrod of Tipton county and James N. Shelton, William Rives, and Alexander Whitmore of Fayette county, Trustees in trust, for the Methodist Episcopal Church. Col. Paine was the uncle of Bishop Robert Paine, a well-known bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. This meeting house as it was called was located about a mile north of the present Methodist church on what is now referred to as the Booker place. It is on the east side of Hwy. 59 just before the Jack Pond road when heading north. The name is not give in the original deed, but it was called Sharon.
The Belmont Methodist Church was apparently a split from the Sharon Church. Its first trustees were William Rives, James N Shelton, James A Manley, Fisher A Westmoreland, Alexander Whitmore, Beverly Anderson, and James E Mason. In 1841 Major Edwin Whitmore gave two acres to the Belmont Methodist Church. The trustees at that time were Rev. Henry W. Sale, William Rives, James E Mason, Fisher A Westmoreland, and Col. Robert Tucker. The 1847 Sunday School repots for the Belmont church show that it had two superintendents, ten teachers, fifty scholars, and one library.
Below you will find a list of churches in Tipton County including a brief history of each.
Address: 3044 Brighton Clopton Rd, Brighton, Tennessee 38011Phone: 901-476-1165
Location Mt Carmel Presbyterian Church is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is in rural Tipton County near Covington, TN. The church was established in 1834 by settlers heading west and became the center of the small community called Mount Carmel. Mt Carmel Presbyterian Church continued its operations until 2000 when it ...
Munford First United Methodist Church was first organized as Mount Zion in 1840, while later it adopted the name of its hometown. The Town of Munford can trace its origins to the early 1850’s when the Mt. Zion Methodist Episcopal Church moved to the current site of the Bethel Church of God in Christ in downtown ...
Gilt Edge, TN
Gilt Edge, TN “New Salem United Methodist Church Homecoming-May 16, 1982”
Centennial Year – Oak Grove Baptist Church (Covington, TN): 1883 – 1983 Address: 4048 Hwy 59 West; Covington, Tennessee 38019 Phone: 901-476-7259 We are so glad you are visiting our website! Our church is a warm and loving church, and we want you to feel comfortable and at liberty to call on ...
Statement of Significance Old Trinity Episcopal Church, on Charlston-Mason Road, in Tipton County, Tennessee, is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion C as a significant example of vernacular church architecture in Tipton County. The gable front church is characterized by a pedimented gable with diagonal boards, multi-light windows, and wood ceilings ...
Gilt Edge, TN
Location Poplar Grove United Methodist Church is on Quito-Drummonds Road in Drummonds, TN. The church is a typical rural church. It has two building which have been remodeled and a large parking lot. The cemetery is across the street and to the left. It is a huge cemetery with about 2,000 graves. Thus, there is history. ...
Portersville Presbyterian Church | In 1831 James Hodges laid out the town of Portersville south of the Somerville Randolph Road, now Atoka-Idaville Road, and south of the intersection of the new road from Covington to Raleigh which became the Portersville Road. The Portersville Presbyterian Church was started in 1833 by Rev. Hugh Wilson and Rev. James ...