Churches slowly organized in Tipton County. The first church congregation in Covington was the Presbyterians who organized their church in 1829. Later, in 1839, they merged with Mt. Carmel Presbyterian Church.
Second were the Baptists. Their first church was established in Covington in 1839. Similarly, this congregation relocated outside of Covington in 1847.
According to John Marshall, Mason Historian, Mason’s
earliest record of a Methodist congregation in the area was in 1833. In that year Col. Robert Paine deeded one acre of land to Isaac Clark, James Roddy, and Irvin R. Sherrod of Tipton county and James N. Shelton, William Rives, and Alexander Whitmore of Fayette county, Trustees in trust, for the Methodist Episcopal Church. Col. Paine was the uncle of Bishop Robert Paine, a well-known bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. This meeting house as it was called was located about a mile north of the present Methodist church on what is now referred to as the Booker place. It is on the east side of Hwy. 59 just before the Jack Pond road when heading north. The name is not give in the original deed, but it was called Sharon.
The Belmont Methodist Church was apparently a split from the Sharon Church. Its first trustees were William Rives, James N Shelton, James A Manley, Fisher A Westmoreland, Alexander Whitmore, Beverly Anderson, and James E Mason. In 1841 Major Edwin Whitmore gave two acres to the Belmont Methodist Church. The trustees at that time were Rev. Henry W. Sale, William Rives, James E Mason, Fisher A Westmoreland, and Col. Robert Tucker. The 1847 Sunday School repots for the Belmont church show that it had two superintendents, ten teachers, fifty scholars, and one library.
Below you will find a list of churches in Tipton County including a brief history of each.
RIVER OF LIFE – A HISTORY OF MUNFORD FIRST ASSEMBLY OF GOD CHURCH | Credit for this book belongs to the Lord first, members of River of Life Munford First Assembly of God Church, and especially to those who provided testimonies, photos, and other documents as part of this “labor of love.” This book would ...
also known as Campground Church Address: 3065 Candy Ln, Burlison, TN 38015Phone: (901) 837-7095 Pastor: TimPastor: Jason
Saint Paul Chapel Missionary Baptist Church & Cemetery is an early reconstruction era black settlement along the Mississippi River. The late 20th century property has an adjacent Rosenwald School building and a historic cemetery that contains at least one grave of a U.S. Colored Troops veteran. The cemetery also contains examples of folk ...
Parents George B Sale | a prominent merchant and citizen of Munford, Tipton Co., Tenn., is a native of Fayette County born February 15, 1845, and is a son of Rev. Henry W. and Nancy (Owen) Sale. The father was a native of Virginia, born in 1784, and died November 20, 1845. The mother was born ...
The Salem MB Church and Cemetery is on Salem Road in Mason, TN. When you arrive the church entrance, the new section of the cemetery is on the opposite side of the street with the old cemetery behind the church. The old section of the cemetery (behind the church) has several older markers ...
Parents Benjamin J Sanford | farmer and citizen of District 13, of Tipton County, is a son of George and Caroline E. (Jefferson) Sanford, and was born in Kentucky in 1825, being the only child living of three sons and three daughters. The grandfather, Richard Sanford, was a native of Virginia and served as a soldier ...