The Town of Mason has its beginnings in 1855 with the completion of the Memphis & Ohio Railroad through the southeastern corner of Tipton County. The town was named for James E. Mason, a local planter who donated the land for the depot grounds and sidetracks. The town was initially known as Mason’s Depot but earned the nickname of “Mason’s Pigpen” so noted because Mr. Mason had previously used the site of the depot grounds as a hog pen. To this day, Washington Avenue in downtown Mason is known by locals as “Pig Alley”.
Following the War Between the States, Mason grew quickly and soon became the commercial center of this County as well as being a strong social and economical influence on the citizens of neighboring Haywood and Fayette Counties. The town was incorporated in 1869.
Because of years of neglect and several devastating fires, little evidence remains of the wealth and prominence this town once possessed. Trinity Episcopal Church built in 1870 is the exception. This brick gothic structure is on the National Register of Historic Places as is its predecessor, Old Trinity Episcopal Church located about three miles north of town. This structure is the oldest structure building in the County having been built by the Taylor slaves in 1847.
Town of Mason by David A. Gwinn, Tipton County Genealogist and Historian