Charles Bryson Simonton: Lawyer; born Tipton Co., Tenn., Sept. 8, 1838; Scotch-Irish descent; son of William and Catherine (Ferguson) Simonton; father’s occupation farmer; paternal grandparents John and Martha (Strong) Simonton; maternal grandparents James and Catherine (Ferguson) Ferguson; graduated from Erskine College, Due West, S.C., with degree B.A. Aug. 17, 1859; served as Capt. of Co. C, 9th Tenn. Infantry C.S.A.; was severely wounded and disabled while commanding his regiment at Perryville, Ky.; married Mary McDill Oct. 16, 1866; member Knights of Honor and Knights of Pythias; in early life he was a teacher in Portersville (Tenn.) Academy, and was 1st president of City Board of Education of Covington, Tenn., served as same ten years; admitted to Covington bar in 1873, and has ever since been actively engaged in practice of law; served two terms as Circuit Court Clerk of Tipton Co., Tenn., Representative from Tipton Co., in Gen. Assembly of Tenn. in 1877; Congressman from 9th Cong. Dist. Tenn. two terms, 1879-1883, when Tipton Co. was placed in 10th Cong. Dist. he was only congressman from Tipton Co. ever elected; served as U.S. Dist. Atty., of Western Dist. of Tenn. under Cleveland’s second administration; permanent chairman Tenn. Democratic State Con. in 1886 which first nominated Senator Robert L. Taylor for governor; elector 10th Cong. Dist. of Tenn. 1892; director of Farmers’ Union Bank, Covington, Tenn., local counsel for Illinois Central R.R.; Brig.-Gen. 3rd Tenn. Brigade U.C.V.; member Associate Reformed Presbyterian church.
[Source: Who’s Who in Tennessee, Memphis: Paul & Douglass Co., Publishers, 1911]
Charles Bryson Simonton Family
- Father: William Simonton b. 3 Feb 1791 Fairfield, South Carolina d. 30 May 1843 Tipton County, Tennessee
- Mother: Catherine Ferguson Simonton b. 1802 South Carolina d. 9 Nov 1869
- Capt. Charles Bryson Simonton b. 8 Sep 1838 Tipton County, Tennessee d. 10 Jun 1911 Covington, Tipton County, Tennessee m. Mary Andoros McDill on 16 Oct 1866.
- Mary Andros McDill Simonton b. 1 Apr 1845 Fairfield County, South Carolina d. 24 Feb 1918 Covington, Tipton County, Tennessee
- Anna Simonton b. 1868 d. 1949
- Ella Simonton b. 1869-1961
- Charles Pressley Simonton b. 1871 d. 1961
- William McDill Simonton b. 1871 d. 1928
- Nannie Mai Simonton b. 1874 d. 1960